Monday, January 17, 2011

Fallout 3

As of late I have been immersed in the World of Fallout 3.  Though I got the game back in September when I purchased my Xbox 360, I did not have much time to immerse myself in the Capital Wasteland due to school, Halo Reach and COD: Black Ops.  I have finished the campaigns of Reach and Black Ops, and though I am still playing the multiplayer mode if Black Ops heavily, I am investing more time into Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is set in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C.  The player is from the safe sterilized world of a Vault, a device which sheltered the occupants from the harsh realities of the outside world.  When the player emerges from the vault to look for his father he enters a world of mutants, and various factious groups vying for control in the chaos that the world has turned into.

The game has an interested combat system called VATS (Vault-Tec assisted targeting).  This system allows the player to essentially pause the game when entering a combat situation and target certain areas of an enemy's body, the head, arms etc.  The player can also play the game much like a first person shooter, simply aiming and shooting the weapons.

Though the combat is integral to the game, the player's interactions with NPCs is crucial.  Much like classics such as Knights of the Old Republic, the player talks to characters and garners information, experience and Quest info.

I highly recommend this game, and I will be playing Fallout: New Vegas as soon as I finish this game, which will likely be a very long time from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment